Wednesday 23 April 2014

Yes, Cockroaches Too Have Courtship And Sex


Like humans, cockroaches have sex too...

All my life, I have often wondered how some of the insect around us reproduce, imagining tiny genitals and some funny coitus.
Cockroaches, one of the most hated insect pests on earth, have a habit of reproducing rapidly and in strange places.
I have often wondered how.
When the question was asked some years ago on a Yahoo forum, Don_marche said, "Man, sometimes I think they use miracle grow. Can't get rid of the darn things sometimes!"
But yesterday, I saw two cockroaches stuck together – obviously after an episode of raunchy sex. I took out my camera and did a short video (watch below)
It was then I realised that cockroaches, and several other insects have sex and to make it even more 'eewy', they do courtship!
"Cockroaches use pheromones to attract mates, and the males practice courtship rituals, such as posturing and stridulation," says Wikipedia.
Are you wondering if the males have a penis?
"A number of intromittent structures in the male cockroach have been called a penis ... Although these structures may be associated with the ejaculatory duct ... penis-like organs function in some capacity other than to convey sperm directly, " co-authors, William J. Bell, Louis M. Roth and Christine A. Nalepa said in their book 'Cockroaches: Ecology, Behavior, and Natural History'.
The funny thing about my discovery, which I backed up with research online, is that roaches stick together after sex - I mean the 'penis' get stuck in the honey-pot after the act – the same way dogs get stuck after sex.
Wow!
Another thing I discovered is that they have sex facing away from each other. Sounds crazy-funny right?
You can check out roachy 'kinky sex' in the grainy video below to see them all stuck up and in the sex groove.

No comments:

Post a Comment